Friday, October 16, 2020

Strange bedfellows.

Chilly wakening today. I love it. Fall is great weather for the cuddling game. But before my eyes opened, before my tentacles found her tentacles,

I was reminded of waking up decades ago in the Gulf Coast where I'm from. That is my country and I melt into that environment easily.

I was remembering one morning waking up somewhere off I-10 in Louisiana. I had been hitchhiking to nowhere in particular (looking for Portland but didn't know where or what Portland was).

I woke to a chilly misty morning in the bayou: wonderful trees and smells, very little traffic, and alligators were all around me.

There were zero alligators when I put my sleeping bag on the ground the night before.

Now, there were two on one side of me and another behind me near the road. None of them had breakfast tacos for me and due to their blood needing to warm up, I luckily wasn't a breakfast burrito for them. I slowly gathered my things, wished them a good morning and happy hunting, then bailed. After that my strategy was all about finding buildings and rest stops and sleeping on the rooves.

It took a long time to trade up from cuddling a gator to cuddling a fox. 🙂

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.