Saturday, January 16, 2021

Once upon a The 90's I was hitch hiking in The Texas

  A big burly Sheriff's deputy pulled up and asked me what I was doing in his county. I told him I was traveling to the other side of the country to get married. That worked. He ran my ID and said he just needed my out of his county because hitch hiking is forbidden. He had me sit in the passenger's seat to take me to the county-line. As we rolled we talked a bit. I thought he was a total douche but that said I also clued in on his humor and a bit of compassion around my romance story.

I always got a kick out of very Hispanic looking good old boys with thick county accents. We started enjoying the ride, gassing and talking about bad drivers when the radio lit up. Back then I wasn't fluid in cop speak but it was clear something was up. "Put your seat belt on. I don't have time to drop you off. we gotta do this." I thought "We?"

Soon as my belt clicked he hit the siren and floored the squad car. We tore across the median kicking up roostertails of dust to meet the road moving the other direction. "You ok?" he asked. I told him it was fun. He was serious but still chuckled a little "Yeah this is purdy fun."

We got behind another cop car in high speed chase mode. I was hanging on tight and smiling like it was a carnival ride. I didn't hear or see bullets flying but whomever they were chasing started shooting. That's when he quickly pulled over and threw me out.

"It's too dangerous now Buba, gotta let ya off here. good luck." He pulled $5 from his visor and threw it to me. before screeching off.

Then it was quiet again...and I was still in Texas. Luckily I wasn't going anywhere in particular or he would have set me back a few dozen miles. That was a cool little moment in my life that doesn't connect with anything else I did. It was so vivid though that I will never forget it.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.