Friday, December 20, 2019

my favorite Christmas song

 I was once in a bar sitting near an elderly Southeast Asian couple and a native American man. 
We didn't know each other. Just quietly in our own worlds. 
Then that song that goes "Do you see what I see?" came on the jukebox. 
For a while we sat quietly but I was curious if they were as unsettled as I was. 
They were worse. I could see the elderly couple was seeing Huey helicopters blowing up villages, agent Orange etc. 
All I could imagine is the classic homogenized Xmas that is about over consuming pink plastic, White Jesus and his Iron age chain letters. 
The Native guy had us beat. 
He understandably saw genocide.
 For a moment we all looked terrified. 
Then the native guy let us all off the hook when he broke the silence saying
 "I see some messed up shit man." 
Our laughter crushed the tension and we all started talking to each other. 
That creepy tune became my favorite Christmas song that almost silent night.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.