Sunday, May 26, 2019

In high school my favorite class was the 2 hr. a day Navy officer training class.

In high school my favorite class was the 2 hr. a day Navy officer training class.
It was like being a Mexican kid in Spanish class.
I already knew Naval history from trireme days to cold war era. I could tell you the difference between a Messerschmidt and a Spitfire from the sound of the engine.
Coming from a town with a huge Navy base I not only knew the names of a lot of the ships, lots of us townees even knew where they were. I loved the parts of the class where the Master chief petty officer instructed us in Soviet propaganda.
Now-days I see lots of those tactics being used in our country. Fox is the worse by far. Especially the feedback loops, repeating of disinformation ad nausium and farming confirmation bias.
The part I remembered most was the teachers telling us over and over "The president is the commander in chief but NOT the king.
It's our duty to make sure the leadership is serving their boss...the American people."
I was shocked that they laid it out like that. I made an oath to that Master chief and the flag to look after the country against foreign and domestic threats.
I never wanted to be a military guy but I did get a uniform once.
A soldier on leave from Iraq came to a few of my Open Mic shows. Before he went back he gifted me his entire uniform.
He said, "You thanked me for my service, now I'm thanking you for yours, thanks for fighting for our country Dingo" That was a momentous honor.
It was also a trip owning an outfit I could never wear. It fit me but I wouldn't rock that suit any more than I would copy the local gang colors. Bad idea.
I parted the uniform out to homeless friends and wore the boots until they wore out.
It's everyone's patriotic duty to be hard to fool.
Politicians aren't sports teams.
Vote for policies and voting records not talking heads and personalities.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.