Saturday, September 09, 2017

Grampa broke out the karaoke machine

After our gig at the fair we were hired to do a huge party (for a three year old) by some folks from Vietnam.
It went over great. Lots of nice people, the kids were charming, generous tip and they fed us so much, we took home huge plates of food. A lady said "Hope you don't mind so many Asians" Olive and I just looked at each other and smiled. We love everybody. And talk about fantastic hosts, after awhile Grampa broke out the karaoke machine and started singing for us. He wasn't bad at all. Grampa has great pipes. I don't know what he was singing but his voice was on key and pleasant.
I easily knew what chords and notes the songs were. I had my guitar and almost joined him. He wasn't doing ethnic religious music, it was basically 70's contemporary light rock with lyrics in his language. I thought "OK this song is kind of like a less depressing "seasons in the sun" mixed with someone playing a saw, I can do a bass line to this...but what would grampa think? He just met me. I only seen him knock down two cold ones and so far he has been the only one rocking the mic. Is there a reason his elder gentlemen buddies aren't singing songs too? Or did he escape North Vietnam just to be upstaged by a Texican clown?" By the time I was done trying to get into his head it was time for us to split. So in closing, music is an international language and thank you immigrant family for participating so robustly in the economy.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.