Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Impostor of the dish pit.

I was standing around jaw jacking on Alberta street. 
Suddenly someone wearing an apron said
 "Hey Dingo, your shift is starting hurry up." It quickly dawned on me that
 (A). He knows who I am, but doesn't know I don't work there. 
 (B) I look a lot like a kitchen worker.
I walked into the darkish kitchen. My eyes adjusted and I saw all the line cooking positions occupied but no dish monkey. That must be me. 
In my life I have worked in restaurants from Florida to Oregon, Gulf Coast, Deep South, Midwest. I worked all the jobs from bottlewasher to bar tender. 
The dish pit was no mystery.
The night went on and I just worked it up. I may be an impostor but I'm gonna do a good job.We had a blast. Cook humor and kitchen radios are always fun. I love watching the cooks kick out tons of food. 
At the end of the night the same guy who told me to start told me to clock out.  
I said (after waiting and working all night for this moment) "I'm sorry, I never clocked in because I don't work here."
"Wait...WUT?"
"Yeah man, about seven hours ago, you told me to start working. 
 I didn't want to disappoint you."
"Dammit Dingo! Now I gotta pay ya cash, we hate doing that." 
He walked off laughing and the crew got a good chuckle when they found out.


In the end they didn't get too sore with me.
I washed dishes, made some child support money and it was so fun working hard and making some new friends.
Glad they didn't mind. They invited me back if the clown thing ever goes South.


In other news. My friend Anestasia went back to Alaska yesterday, she works on a pleasure boat.
I wanted to hang out with her and practice tango but I'ts not in the cards.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.