Sunday, February 17, 2008

from the wire...

Dear Joseph Gallivan,
>>> My name is Jamie Nichols. I’m writing for David
>>> Douglas High School newspaper about punk houses.
>> I
>>> understand that you are the writer of the Punk
>> Houses
>>> story in the Portland Tribune. I was hoping I
>> could
>>> ask you some questions for an investigative
>> report.
>>> You can e-mail me at jao.com
>> or my
>>> partner Marissa Burns at onewl.com or
>> you
>>> can call my journalism teacher Steve Rivas. The
>>> school number is **************
Respectfully,
>>> Jamie Nichols

--- Joseph Gallivan
> @portlandtribote:
>
>> That's right. Ask away!
>>
>> Joseph Gallivan
>>
>> Feature Writer
>> The Portland Tribune
>> 6605 SE Lake Rd
>> Portland OR 97205
>>
>> (503) 5468
First, do you have the phone number of the Garfield
> house? We're looking into visiting it.
>

Tamra's nos:
503 2882 h
503 75697 c

NE Garfield St.

> Do you know how long punk houses have been around?
>
No idea. Punk started in 1976. Hippie crash pads have been around
since the 60s. Before that, who knows?

> Is there an age limit for people to live in the punk
> houses?
>
It seems not. Most of them have their own rules. The youngest Tamara
took in was 15.


> Are there any other cities/states that have punk
> houses? If so, how does Portland's punk houses
> compare?
>
You need to get Punk House, Abby Banks's book, which has photos of
dozens of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Punk-House-Interiors-Abby-Banks/dp/0810993317

> How long does the process take until people can live
> there?
>

> Do you know of any criminal activity resulting from
> the punk houses?
>

Not specifically. Dingo Dizmal ran one of the wildest punk houses in
town, the Clown House on Alberta St, and he strictly enforced a "no
powder drugs" rule. You should talk to him.


> What is a top reason people go to punk houses?
>

Cheap rent, easy acceptance.
> How long can people stay there?
>
Renter probably stay years, couch surfers less so. As my article
stated, Tamra limits people to 4 weeks.


> How does living in a punk house benefit the people
> living there? What are the positives and negatives of
> living in a punk houses?
>

Dingo says there is a great exchange of ideas, people learn to share
and discover their own identities. Often it's their first time away
form parents/authority figures.

Negatives probably include mess, theft, personality clashes, and the
high turnover of residents. Also landlords often take back the house
at short notice if they want to sell it.

> Do people that live in punk houses go to school?
>

Yes. See Melian in my story. I don't know about college.

> Do you know of any people that we could contact to
> help us on this subject?
>

Try the people in my story. Also Abby Banks is very good on the phone.

Let me know and I will give you the contacts.

Keep in touch, I'd love to see how your project turns out

Joseph

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.