Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Second thoughts.

We were coming home from our gig at Know Thy Food. On the way we dropped into a cafe to try and ask about a gig. The fact that it was empty at lunchtime was our clue that they may need our services.
Well they guy at the counter said he wasn't the owner but I told him what we were about anyway.
I told him we just left a busy cafe gig and that we have our own tea product that is currently selling out.
I informed him that we can draw customers from all around the metro and also point out his menu items. Keeping paying customers in seats is a huge priority for us.
As soon as I said that the shop owners pay us at least $20 per show, he said something that made me think he was the owner. He said no way would he pay.
He started complaining about a performer who filled his shop with people who didn't buy anything.
I know that nightmare.
It is the worst case scenario in our world too.

The man told us we had to pay HIM to perform at his place.
In that moment I realized that I didn't want to partner with him.
He had "tells" of a high maintenance friend.
He said "I want you to pay me a guarantee in case nobody comes and I still have to pay for the lights to be on.
I looked over my shoulder at an empty cafe, at lunch, with all the lights on.
We thanked him for his time, wished him good luck and I snatched the information back (out of his hand).
Then his face changed. I think it became clear to him that he was watching a potential score walking out the door.
He quickly said "Maybe you can come and perform for free?"
Me: "No thanks Sir. We are professionals."
Then we went on our merry way.
We see a lot of cafes close.
It's a hard business to be in.
I don't blame him for being cautious.
Still, it felt good to see his face at the end.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.