Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Someone I admire a LOT!

http://www.wendycarlos.com/
Wendy Carlos changed my life as a youngster with the Clockwork Orange soundtrack.
I still get chills when I hear her work.
She is a pioneer of electronic organ music from the 60s, (sounds like Bach as played by a building full of robots).
I do gigs where there are hints of what her work has evolved into, festivals with a lot of what they call "electronic music" on the bill, let me tell ya, it's the biggest load of donkey CRAP from mediocre, uninspired hell!
Mostly repetitive beats and assorted racket, kind of like stuff thats perfect for drugged out festival goers to stagger around to.
When people tell me they have favorite D.J.s I have no idea why, my 8 year old sounds better on electronic equipment than any of those morons do and her stuff is off the top of her head and original.
I wonder what they would do if they could hear the real stuff.
With W.C. you get to hear movements climbing, dashing, falling and cresting like paint flung on a wall exept for the fact that each note is exactly as long and as short as it needs to be, it's a journey, a story, a feeling of epic size and space that make my heart burst.
It's funny that even when I was in Punk bands I couldn't resist playing electric bass like it was a cello and in a classical style.
W. Carlos is a treasure in my book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Dj [DJ owen] plays futuristic moog music from this period [wand beyond] He's my fawvorite DJ mostly because he's the only DJ I know who decided to invent the genre of the future, [Future Shock] but also he plays all sorts oof things most folks will never here.

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.