Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Fair!

Wow, that was a pretty great fair! Some folks didn't want it to be called the Alberta street fair, so the name was changed to The Alberta street arts fair. Then, in a brilliant move of agenda-pushing, it became The Alberta Street Arts Fair and Katrina Survivors' fundraiser.
The usual folks couldn't get the fair together this year. I think it was because they didn't have the resources and volunteers needed for a high-end affair with lots of smells and bells.
I could be wrong, but the story I got was that a couple of people told someone, who had rented out lots of his space for the event, that the fair couldn't be done.
He stood to lose a bunch of money, so that lit a fire under his butt to get it on anyway.
He sure put a lot together really fast. That was cool, but we still had to have plenty of meetings (one) without him, because his pushing of his agenda was really turning people off. There were several people who also wanted to do the fair anyway, but having one person so driven to deliver a big "F.U." to the usual organizers...well, it put a lot of people off, and left more to be done, since so many people didn't want anything to do with him.
But, to be fair (so to speak), the guy did a great job getting all the permits and other B.S. that I would have ignored.
The bickering and back biting between team Carlos and team A.O.A. was very entertaining from my side of the street. I'm under the impression that money really ruins art.
I had no money to lose, or face to get egg on. I just like to parade around, so I was going to have a party no matter what.
The Sprockettes were a blast, and the did some new dance routines. Since the street wasn't wide enough for them, they just picked up a parked car and moved it sideways and down the road a bit, turning it into a road block. I was waiting for the car's owner to come up and see what Hurricane Sprockette had done to their car. (I was really hoping that it was a customer from that nasty fish joint up the street.). In the end, they picked the car back up and returned it to its original position.
It didn't rain on us, so we didn't need the gas company's lousy tent (Us 1; Gas co. 0. We win.).
I guess we wouldn't have needed it anyway, because our event was based around mud.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, neighborhood fair politics! what joy! i am glad you only got mud, and not egg on your face.

for those of us who never made it east far enough to get there, i have one word (followed by one punctuation):

photos?

Dingo Dizmal said...

I'm waiting for some photos to come in, if not I may have to do some courtroom type sketches.
d

Anonymous said...

HEY D., WHATS A TEXICAN?

Dingo Dizmal said...

That's a hombre that often eats Peanut Butter and jelly tacos.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
I snapped a few photos of the Tall bike race. And of the Sprockettes.

And here's one of a mini bike launching over the mud pit!

Dingo Dizmal said...

That bike shot rules man, the dude just showed up and began doing tricks for us, it lasted for hours.
Dingo

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.