Monday, August 22, 2005

I was once a snitch

Many moons ago, before Clownarchy was a factor in the young Dingo's life, I tried my hand at being an undercover agent for the Better Buisness Bureau.
I would infiltrate telemarketing "Boiler rooms," and get to work scamming gullible Joe Six Packs. I usually had a script. Once I was asked to pretend to be a disabled vet, and sell shoddy light bulbs.
That's me: pretending to be a someone, pretending to be someone else .
I would do a week or so in the boiler room ("Boiler Room" is a term for these shady telemarketing scams. They are usually located in hotels or rented offices.), get the info I needed on a wire, then walk out as the feds ran in.
It would have been a great gig exept for the fact that I had to live in a giant web of lies.
I also had no desire to get stabbed, and...well, the last few stings I did ended up on the news.
Nobody thought to hide my face, and I'm such a camera whore, I was quickly "made" and had a hard time getting more telemarketing jobs.

Nowadays, when the phone rings and it's a telemarketer, I find the youngest kid in the house and tell the person on the line, "Sure. Let me connect you with the girl who writes the checks."
Then put the kid on, after telling her it's Santa Claus or her real Daddy.

So, if you really need a solar clothes dryer, send me the $1500 and I'll send you 50 ft. of rope and some clothes pins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to telemarket. Only kind of job that didn't try to kill or break me physically nor treat me like a criminal- drug tests, account for all actions last 10 years & prove it, waste hours on resume to be ignored, etc. At least 10 jobs over 3+ years but I never found 1 of these lucrative scams. I ate a lot of shit from people who would sit through hours of tv ads, like on "news" shows exposing telemarketers, but totally unload on a mere human for daring to delay their face stuffing for 2 minutes, just to make a living. BTW, the BBB is just another bizness, basically an extortion & PR scam.

Dingo Dizmal said...

AW, Those BBB folks were nothing but dedicated to saving folks from shucksters, thats the only reason I worked with them, I really am not down with stealing, especially from the elderly
D.the C

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.