Monday, May 21, 2018

Revisiting the spot (33rd. and Killingsworth) where I was in a movie.

 During the Clown House years a Hollywood film crew invited us to be in their doc about buskers. 
They had me re-do my favorite experiment for their hidden cameras. Here is how it goes.

 I perform as three different kinds of common busker. First I spent 30 min. playing and singing "House of the rising son" in my best voice. It has complicated chords and I played it on a gut-string (classical) guitar. Then I just sat out there with a broken guitar for 30 min. straight begging, then I was the crazy guy, no guitar, only a tin cup that I had. I just banged on the street with the cup and muttered about peeing my pants. 

At the end of the hr. and a half, the beggar made $15 and the other two nothing. One person dropped a $5 and the guy who dropped the $10 only did so after griping me out for being an able bodied beggar. It was easy to stay in character while he was hollering at me because I knew several really good cameras were collecting comedy gold. After that guy was done reading me the riot act, he stormed into the grocery store. A production assistant ran after him. They couldn't use the footage without him signing a release. I followed behind the crew watching the guys reaction as he discovered it was a set up. His face went from concern to a big smile and laughter as he signed away his images. 

It was neat to revisit the spot today and remember this episode. This experiment came to me by accident as I was often a busker and noticed that the people who need it most get help the least. 

The laziest thing you can do is feed money to a bum or someone holding a sign by the freeway. The real way to earn those self pats on the back is to investigate, vote, invest in the community and get involved. Anything else is just thanking yourself for supporting the cig and malt liqueur companies. I never did see the movie. Making movies is hard but who knows. Maybe someday it will be made and or released and we can see how well my memory was.

like what we do?
oliveanddingo.com/donate

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.