Friday, April 20, 2018

I don't like arguing. But I enjoy ignorance even less.

I don't like arguing.
But I enjoy ignorance even less.
You can only go so far though. I have points that come in paragraphs.
I study a lot and I have lived what seems like several lifetimes in a only a few decades.
So there is never enough room for all the opinions.
I noticed folks with the worst opinions often need very little details.
Their entire political opinions come in crude bumper sticker slogan form.
Not good enough. It reveals more of what reality they want than what actual reality exists. I expect things I say to be double checked and when I'm proved wrong, I'm grateful.
I would rather be "correct" than be "Right".
Others it seems would rather be Right" than "correct".
If they are drawing a bad conclusion, the last thing they want is some clown pointing it out. They are looking for a positive feedback loop not the brick wall of logic or perspective.
Also some folks are not qualified to counter argue because they don't get good info in the first place.
I don't know how to navigate McOpinions.
Lots of places are locked in groupthink, ignorance or their whole situation depends on their bad conclusion.
The ignorance on the internet makes me cringe.
I don't think I know everything so it also points out that my opinions probably look primitive to folks with far better perspective than I.
This makes me prone to interrogating my own beliefs almost daily.

me: My neighbors are great people, they love each other and are great parents. Why would you back this legislation treating them like they are sinners/deviants?"

McOpinion Person: The bible says Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve."

me: "That's whack (and immediately this pours out of my face)
Things aren't correct just because they rhyme.
Bronze age people didn't know what happens to the sun when it sets.
There is no such thing as God.
I cherish the relationships I have had through my life with the members of the queer community, wouldn't trade it for anything.
Homosexuality is a gift of evolution and a very important part of the human experience.
Your religion is an actual blight on the country for spreading so much superstition and, exploitation and hatred."

M.O.P. "But Laviticus 18.22"


me: "Laviticus 11.9 baby, shrimp seems to be a much bigger problem with the cave people than queerness. Maybe you should track that down before trying to ruin my neighbors life."

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.