Saturday, September 03, 2016

planning

I met a man with a lot of money today. When he made his fortune he could have built a McMansion but he didn't. He just fixed up an old house and called it good. Joe likes having a porch, knowing his neighbors and riding a bike everywhere, he also loves historic places.

I met Joe while busking in front of his wife's shop during art walk. He is the third owner of a house built at the beginning of the last century. This guy isn't letting anything happen to it. He also works hard to keep the surrounding houses intact.
What a great guy.

 That is so rare in the new frontier of blind capitalism. Is this normal for Portland? Oh wait, did I say Portland? Sorry I'm in San Antonio Texas.
Yes Texas, Rick Perry, Gee dub, Cruz,home of the worst corporations, politicians, wonky text books,and macho guns and big trucks actually owns some districts with a strong social consciousness and willingness to act like higher beings. Win!

It makes sense. San Antonio is largely focused on history.
They like to remember that time that a franchise of a nationalism themed corporation martyred itself while stageing a hostile takeover of another Nationalism themed parent corporation's real estate asset...in a frikkin hellatious bloody battle in a religion themed corporation's regional home office.
My brother made me go to the Art walk to see something different and I was really glad he did.








We finally saw gay folks, mimes, bohemians, folks rocking hand made clothes and rocking to their own music. and hella kids on bikes. I was sold. They made a plan for everyone and stopped the big guys from eating up everything.


They have urban planning nailed down while my town can't get rid of the artists fast enough. We have a neighborhood called Alberta arts that few if any artists could afford to live in.
My new friend used to be a teacher. One of the city planning lessons he taught was about Portland and Seattle. He was shocked to hear Portland dropped the ball so hard. He gave me a lot of ideas to chew on. I hope someone thanked him. Some of those houses he is saving were built by my great uncle a long time ago. That craftsmanship really can't be duplicated. Thank's Joe.

1 comment:

Ms. Bathtub said...

Hey Dingo and Olive! I've lived in San Antonio since April as I'd had enough with Portland and after a short visit to SA in 2014 fell in love with the place. Glad you got to come down and catch some of the magic!

--Carye "bike bat" Bye

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.