Saturday, February 20, 2010

My great grandmother dies in a fire with her child and dog.

Because of this fact her name was in the paper and with a few phone calls I got her name.
Now this evening I'm with my children and we are using our precious time together to go over who the hell we are anyways! Click above to see the tragic tale of my great grandmothers demise way back East in Massachusetts.


Thats the Yankee side of my family, now the Tejanos...
My Texas native family are Hispanic (not my word)they come from the counties around San Antonio. I grew up in Corpus Christi on the coast.
When I die I want my body pitched in Oso Bay.

My Great Grandfather's Birth certificate.
I love that my great great grandfather's name was Mereguildo Barrera but he was listed as "White" on the form.

My Grandfather, he was a police officer and his brother was a fireman. When I was young my uncle put me on the firetruck a lot. At the time my grandfather was a Homicide detective so I never got to ride in a squad car but he did introduce me to a murderer once.
This is my great Grandmothers birth certificate. Looks like my great great grandmother on my moms side was an irish lady. Green tacos?

When my mother was in her 50s she got a visit from her brother...WHAT BROTHER?
My mom was raised in an upper class home in the city with a maid. It was her and her sister she didn't have a brother.
Turns out a lady on her death bed revealed to her 8 or so grown children that they had a sister...my mom.
She told them that the sister went away with a police man when she was a baby.
It's not clear if my grandfather bought my mom, stole her or rescued her.
So I'm not related to anyone I grew up with. Do I care HELL NO!
I know who took care of me, put up with my weirdness and juvenile delinquency that lasted a decade after I turned 18. I miss the Texans a lot.

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.