Friday, October 20, 2006

Gettysburg THREE DAYS OF DESTINY

I'm watching this movie about civil war reenactors, it's WONDERFUL.
Part movie and part documentry about reenacting, this show has one of the things about the american ape that I love the most; people in period costumes eating natchos and talking on cell phones, I see this at Pow Wows too.
I'm far more actor than re-enactor that stuff looks hard to do, a lot of standing around for hours while all the pieces get set, then running with some kind of stick (gun, sword, bugle, flag)in a cloud of gun smoke stright at some other guys with sticks who are yelling and firing blanks at you, then you collapse on the spot they tell you and lie there in the hot sun until the battle is over YOWZA!
Wow that's hard, plus those cats reenacting are much fatter and older than the soldiers of 1863, so they are huffing and puffing during the "charge" holding thier pants up and when they fall they look like someone dropped a bag of meat.
With the beards and boots, they look kind of like two thousand homicidal Santa Clauses, groping down a too steep hill, cursing and shooting guns.
The war part looks real too, with all the blank cannon rounds and screaming horses, those guys really get into it, they get all welled up and start crying, full of emotion, I got like that my first Critical Mass ride.
I know what it's like to be a bad actor but what is it like to be a bad reenactor?
The folks in this show all seem to be good reenactors

No comments:

Sorry I forgot your birthday song.